README.TXT Driver File Contents (sfa110-b3.exe)
Driver Package File Name: sfa110-b3.exe
(1) MINIPORT DRIVER FOR WINDOWS 98 INSTALLATION
The SOHOware 10/100 Fast Ethernet PCI adapter driver installation
procedure varies depending on whether or not you are installing into
a full Windows 98 installation or a Windows 98 Upgrade installation.
<Windows 98 Clean Installation>
If you are installing the SOHOware 10/100 Fast Ethernet PCI adapter
into a system that has a clean Windows 98 installed, follow Procedure A.
If your adapter was already in your PC before you installed the
full version of Windows 98, you will not be prompted to install the
SOHOware driver during the installation of Windows 98. Click
Start\Settings\Control Panel\System and tab 'Device Manager'. Under
'Other devices', the "Fast Ethernet PCI Controller" will be marked
with a question mark "?". Select it, click 'Remove' and restart your
computer. Then follow Procedure A.
<Windows 98 Upgrade Version Installation>
If the card is being installed into a Windows 98 system (no matter
what version of Windows your Windows 98 was upgraded from), refer to
procedure A for installation in a clean Windows 98 environment.
If the card was previously installed on a version of Windows that
was upgraded to Windows 98, it will still work after the upgrade.
But you may upgrade the driver by refering to the procedure B.
1. Plug SOHOware 10/100 Fast Ethernet PCI adapter
into one of the Master PCI slots of your PCI platform.
2. Turn power on then boot from Windows 98.
3. Window system will detect the SOHOware 10/100 PCI Network
Adapter and the Add New Hardware Wizard dialog box will open.
4. Select Search for the best driver for your device and click
5. Insert the SOHOware Driver Diskette into your floppy drive.
Check Specify a location, enter the driver pathname, i.e.
A:\Win98, and click Next.
6. The Add New Hardware Wizard will indicate that Windows 98
found the SOHOware 10/100 PCI Network Adapter driver.
7. The setup program may again ask you to insert the disk. Click
OK. Type " A:\Win98 " in the copy files from field. Click OK.
Depending on your current installation, the setup program may
also ask you to insert the Windows 98 CD-ROM.
8. Follow screen instructions to complete the process.
9. The system will ask you to restart your computer. Remove the
floppy disk from the floppy driver and click Yes to complete
1. Power on the computer and boot into Windows 98.
2. Clicking Start\Settings\Control Panel\System and tab
3. Under "Network Adapters", select the "SOHOware 10/100 PCI
Network Adapter", click 'Property' and tab "driver".
4. Click 'Update driver'.
5. On the 'Update Device Driver Wizard' box, click 'Next'
6. Click 'Next' again.
7. Insert the SOHOware 10/100 PCI Network adapter Driver
Diskette in your floppy drive.
8. Select only the "Specify the location" from the dialog box,
And enter the driver pathname, i.e. A:\Win98), then click
9. The Wizard will find the new driver for the SOHOware 10/100
PCI Network adapter. Click 'Next'.
10. A "Windows driver file search for the device and location of
driver" message will appear. The device name will be shown as
"SOHOware 10/100 PCI Network Adapter" and the driver location
11. Click 'Next' and follow the on-screen instructions to complete
During the installation, Windows 98 might ask for some system
files. They come with Windows 98 Source (CD-ROM or Diskette).
If you have the Windows 98 CD-ROM, insert it and enter the
correct path, e.g. 'D:\WIN98'
During the installation, Windows 98 might ask for some driver
files, such as FE100A.SYS. They come with the newest driver
diskette for the "SOHOware 10/100 PCI Network Adapter". Re-insert
that diskette into the floppy disk drive, then enter the path
12. Windows has finished the driver upgrading, click 'Finish' and
follow the system instruction to restart your computer.
(2) Adding a Windows 98 machine to an existing network
By default Windows 98 only installs the TCP/IP protocol.
If you want a Windows 98 machine to connect to a network without
a DHCP server, you should manually modify the TCP/IP settings of
all machines on the network. If you don't understand TCP/IP, you
have another choice. That is, follow the instruction below to
modify the network settings only on the newly added Windows 98
1. Click Start/Settings/Control Panel. Double-click
the Network icon to open the Network dialog box.
2. On the configuration tab, highlight
TCP/IP - > SOHOware 10/100 PCI Network Adapter
and then click the Remove button to unbind the
TCP/IP protocol from the LAN adapter.
3. Click the Add button. select Protocol and click
Add button. Select Microsoft in the left pane,
select NetBEUI in the right. Click OK to install
the NetBEUI protocol.
4. On being returned to the Network dialog box you
should see the NetBEUI protocol has been added
to the list in the network component pane.
From the Primary Network Login dropdown list
choose Client for Microsoft Networks. Click OK.
5. Restart Windows 98.