HELP/W95NDIS2.TXT Driver File Contents (3c9xx.zip)
Driver Package File Name: 3c9xx.zip
3Com (R) Corporation
EtherDisk (R) Diskette for
The 3C90X Fast EtherLink XL/EtherLink XL Bus Master Adapter Family
NDIS 2 Driver and Windows 95
Before you install the NDIS 2 driver on a computer running Windows 95, make
sure the adapter has been properly installed in a PCI slot and that the
adapter has passed the configuration and diagnostic procedure.
NOTE: If the adapter fails the configuration and diagnostic tests, look for
troubleshooting information in the TROUBLE.TXT file in the HELP
directory on the 3Com EtherDisk diskette.
1. Turn on the computer and start Windows 95. A message appears,
informing you that Windows 95 is detecting new hardware and is looking
for the drivers.
2. If you are installing this adapter for the first time, you will be
prompted to install the driver from a diskette provided by the hardware
3. Insert the 3Com EtherDisk diskette and click OK.
4. Specify the letter of the floppy drive location. For example, if your
floppy drive is drive A:, type:
Then click OK.
5. Windows 95 will read in the W95EL90X.INF file.
6. Select the appropriate adapter.
7. Go to Network on the Control Panel, and click once on the adapter name.
8. In the Driver Type tab, click on Properties, and then on Real Mode
(16 bit) NDIS Driver.
9. Click on OK. You are prompted to restart your computer.
10. Installation is now complete.
Updating the Driver
1. After installing the adapter in the PCI slot and connecting the cables
to the network, turn on the computer and start Windows 95.
2. Click Start, then Settings. Then select Control Panel.
3. In the Control Panel, click Network and then highlight the name of the
4. Click Remove, then OK. You will be prompted to restart your computer.
5. Repeat step 2.
6. In the Control Panel, click Network, then Add.
7. Select Adapters, then 3COM.
8. Click Have Disk. Then insert the 3Com EtherDisk diskette into the
appropriate floppy drive.
9. Specify the letter of the floppy drive location. For example, if your
floppy drive is drive A, type:
Then click OK.
HINT: If an error message appears, saying that the .INF file cannot be
found in the specified location, verify that the file actually
exists. The file should be located in the root directory of the
3Com EtherDisk diskette. The filename is W95EL90X.INF.
10. Select the correct adapter from the list and then click OK.
11. Select the adapter again and click Properties.
12. In the Driver Type tab click Real Mode (16 bit) NDIS Driver.
13. Click OK.
14. Click Restart Computer.
Verifying Driver Installation
1. In Windows 95, click Start, Settings, and then Control Panel.
2. Select Network and then select the adapter in the configuration box
and click Properties.
3. In the Driver Type tab, verify that the item below is selected:
Real Mode (16 bit) NDIS Driver
(%VER W95NDIS2.TXT - NDIS 2 in Windows 95 v1.0a)